HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Hair Evolution

It's been about one year since my first visit to my hair stylist after my stroke. I've had a few appointments since then, including today -- here's how my hair has evolved since it was first shaved for my emergency brain surgery (if you're squeamish, you might not want to look at the first photo or two --- especially the second one).

 Fig. 1: Late October, 2013 (about 2 weeks after my surgery).


Fig. 2: Late December, 2013 (a couple days after my second surgery to put my skull back on)


Fig. 3: Late February, 2014.


Fig. 4: Mid-May, 2014 (right after an appointment with my stylist).


Fig. 5: Mid-August, 2014 (shortly after another visit to my stylist)

 Fig. 6: January 6, 2015 (right after a visit to my stylist)

First, how awesome is my stylist? She managed to make my hair look like a million bucks at every awkward stage! She's actually an award-winning hair stylist, and it really makes a world of difference, especially when dealing with such hair issues (I did start seeing her before all this and noticed a HUGE difference between previous stylists - she has a deep understanding of the connection between hair type, face type, personality, and style).

Second, I know it seems a bit vain to be writing about my hair of all things after everything that has happened, but it's amazing how much it affected me throughout this journey. It was hard looking in the mirror and not seeing MYSELF, if that makes sense --- I was just staring at a stroke patient. My stylist gave me ME back, even though my hair wasn't the same as before. She helped me take ownership of it - choosing styles that I wanted, even thought I wasn't so keen on the length. Being able to make the CHOICE instead of it being thrust upon me, really helped me feel more confident.

Never underestimate the worth of a great hair stylist!