HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Saturday, January 3, 2015

2015

We spent the last week and a bit of 2014 down in Arizona with my family (hence the quiet on the blog), which was a much-needed break from the realities of life here!

C managed to get some sort of killer cold the first day out, and the rest of us ended up getting it to some extent over the holiday. Despite that though, we managed to enjoy the nicer weather, spend some good family time together, and I even got in a round of golf - on Christmas Day even (first time I've been on the course since before I was pregnant with E)!!

2014 was a good year for our family with lots of changes and growth! What about my goals from last year? Here they are and how I did:

1. Get the okay to drive from doctors.
- This was done early in January, but completely official by April (though I drove since I got the initial "okay", because the winter would have been all that worse if I couldn't get around!).

2. Knitting: finish afghan, and choose some new (smaller) projects
- I did finish the afghan in June! I started a sweater for C, did a garland for Christmas, and have just about finished a scarf for E.

3. Begin to learn to play the piano.
- Not even close to an attempt.

4. Decide on next step in my career.
- Done! I am half way through my B.Ed to teach high school!

5. Read at least 1 book per month.
- Just snuck in at 12!

6. Find ways (and time) to exercise.
- I did very well with this one until my first practicum in October, and then it totally fell off the radar. I will be getting back to swimming now that classes are starting again.

7. Find new and fun things to do with the kids.
- We bought a fish tank (and fish) in January, and that held our interest for a while!
- We built a big playset in the backyard
- In the summer we started geocaching, and really like to do it al together!

8. Figure out some storage solutions for our house.
- We got a couple new storage systems for toys/books/games
- I did reorganize some of our closets which has helped
- We bought baskets for the cubby by our front door
- Am using small flower pots in the pantry to store my excess kitchen utensils
- DH refurbished a storage cubby by our side entrance and it looks great (and is functional!)

9. Keep trying new and different recipes
- Didn't keep up with this so much, but have added a few more regular meals to our rotation (sausage pasta, chicken parm)

10. Get Evan fully potty trained by the time he starts school.
- YAY we did this one, and much earlier!

11. Find a way to be an advocate for or work with other stroke survivors
- I did a few local media interviews to share my experience, but haven't done anything specific (though have been looking into it).

12. Take care of myself (specifically in terms of progressing in my recovery).
- Taking care of myself will always be a work in progress, because I tend to drop to the end of my priority list. I know that I need to keep this up because I'm a better person when I'm eating, sleeping, exercising, and have time to relax.

I think I did pretty awesome, so go me!

What about for 2015? Instead of a list, I have chosen a theme: re-evaluation. Basically, just checking in with myself (or ourselves as a family) about how/why/when we are doing things and if any changes need to be made.

Sometimes we find ourselves doing things simply because we have in the past. For example, I've been keeping track of our finances the same way for years, and I think it's time to update with all the technology that's available. Other things that come to mind is what we spend our money on (being more mindful would be good), how we organize our lives/house, and how we spend our time.

On top of these, I have my usual goals in terms of reading (keep up with at least 1 book a month) and knitting (finish C's sweater, learn how to make socks, and take a class).

Looking forward to seeing what 2015 brings on every level for us!

Happy new year to all my wonderful readers and hope that it brings you much joy and happiness!