HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Buying Into Christmas

I am so completely sick of so many things about the Christmas season:

- Writing and sending cards
- Advent calendars
- The whole Santa charade
- Getting token gifts for EVERYONE EVER (teachers, daycare staff, mail carrier, pet walker/sitter...)
- Baking 123 dozen cookies
- Over-solicitation from charities
- The whole FOCUS of "WHAT do you want for Christmas?"

I've never really found the holidays super stressful, but this year I'm just finding the whole season annoying because it's so totally full of obligation, competition, and pettiness.

I used to like Christmas shopping. Going out to the mall/wherever, and just looking around until something struck me for someone specific. Now I just feel like it's all about gift cards and lists, and it's not even something I want to think about, let along DO (especially since everyone turns into an asshole when Xmas shopping).

I like baking all year round, but I find baking at Christmas really annoying because it just seems like some big competition - who can be the most miserable about baking? I also can't stand all the pictures on Facebook about it. It just seems so obnoxious.

Last year I didn't send out Christmas cards because of stroke. I liked the freedom so much that I decided to do the same thing this year.

I can't stand the focus on Santa and chocolate and presents for the kids.

Even decorating our house for the holidays didn't lift my spirits, and that ALWAYS works.

I don't know where I'm going with this post other than I don't like how the holidays are presenting themselves this year. I'm just feeling "meh" and "bleh" and want to just wash my hands of the whole thing. I need to either change my attitude and/or change the way we do things.

How are you feeling about the holidays this year?