HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Monday, September 8, 2014

First Week Reflection

I have completed my first week of my BEd. program!

It was overwhelming, exciting, a bit boring at times, stressful, and fun!

I am really enjoying the majority of the courses. There are a couple that I'm not all that excited about, but I can see how they'll be useful.

One thing I've been really impressed with - as a stark contrasts to my previous university experiences - is the quality of the teaching! I guess I should have expected as much in a Faculty of Education, but I guess I just associate status-quo university style teaching with university (no matter what Faculty).

The best part is our teaching subject courses are taught by actual K-12 teachers! So, not only can they teach us about new and different teaching techniques, but can also give us tips on suggestions with how to navigate the job market, how to deal with behaviour issues, etc. Basically, they can give us an "insider" and practical perspective on what it's really like to teach K-12 students. Because it's all well and good to know the theory, but it's the practical stuff that truly makes a great teacher.

Going into my second week I still feel a bit overwhelmed, especially with the amount of reading that is assigned, but I feel more confident that I will be able to get through this, enjoy it, and come out at the end happy with what I was able to accomplish.