HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Close Enough For Jazz

In high school, I loved music, and played the clarinet classically, as well as jazz tenor and baritone saxophones. 

Tuning was always an important part of our warm-up, and was especially critical in classical, since it can be really obvious when even one instrument is ever-so-slightly out of tune. We would spend whole class periods working on being able to pick out who was out of tun and by how much.

For jazz, our teacher wasn't nearly as hardcore about it. In fact, jazz can sound a bit better if the ensemble isn't perfectly in tune. So, he would often say during these tuning sessions, "close enough for jazz."

For some reason, the phrase really resonated with me (pun slightly intended), and I find myself muttering it 20ish years later...when I'm folding laundry, searching for something at the store but can't find exactly what I'm looking for, or when I'm adding spices to dinner.

Now, it fits perfectly with my general outlook for life - "good enough". Clearly our music teacher was on to something.

What things did you learn as a kid still resonate with you?