Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Answered My Own Question

Thanks to everyone who commented on my last post about second guessing my decision to go to teacher's college! In responding to the comments, I think I answered my own question about whether it'll be worth it.

In summary:
- I often second guess myself for any big decision, so this is a normal reaction for me.
- I know all the stats about how hard it is to become/be a teacher in Ontario
- I'm familiar with how Ontario classrooms work, and know it's not an easy job at all.
- ...that being said, I'm prepared to "do my time" in order to succeed as a teacher
- ...and also, my additional qualifications, experience, and connections in the school board(s), will help me a lot.
- I'm excited to actually LIKE and ENJOY my course work and projects (maybe even for the first time in my post-secondary schooling career)
- Though I enjoyed doing outreach over the past few years, I found it was never "enough". I crave the continuity with a class that teaching gives (not just dropping in and walking out).
- When I think about applying to other jobs, I find myself thinking "but it's not teaching, and not what I want to spend my time doing"
- I know I can't be a stay-at-home-mom to be happy and to therefore be the best mom for my kids (I've known this since Evan was a baby, so I don't even know why I put it in the post as an option --- it's not)
- Regardless of if I go back to work or go to school, the kids will be okay...and THRIVE really, and they can see me thrive too (very important!)
- The timing is right in terms of the program (last year it'll be offered as a 1-year program)
- ...and I don't have the obligation of a job to go back to after maternity leave.
- ...and Evan will be starting school and Carter can be in daycare (yay for only 1 kid in daycare at a time!).
- ..and we have the financial ability for me to do this now.
- Yes, it's a good amount of $$ upfront, but losing savings is much better than going in debt (which we were prepared to do for me to do this).
- It'll be so worth it if teaching works out, and I finally get to achieve that dream/goal -  how awesome would that be??
- The worst that can happen if I go is we fork out the $$  and I end up finding work doing something else. That's a pretty good "bad" side.

So, to summarize the summary: I need to stop second guessing myself and finally go with my gut on this decision. I know it won't be all puppy dogs and roses, but I also know it will be the start of a new and exciting chapter in my career (regardless of where it takes me). Everything seems to be telling me to GO FOR IT...so I'd be pretty stupid to not grab this opportunity while I can!