HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    BLOG ROLL    CONTACT

Monday, March 10, 2014

Blog Path

This is really just me thinking aloud, but feel free to chime in with whatever comes to mind!

I've been thinking a lot about my blog lately - what I write about and what the point is.

I write about everything from the kids and motherhood to science and education to my stroke recovery, to knitting, house stuff, and everything in between. I sometimes wonder if I should be more focused, or is the "focus" of my blog just "life"? Why do I feel like my blog has to even have a "point"?  Does there really need to be coherent theme?

All I know is that I'm feeling a bit unsettled about it right now. Maybe because I don't have a ton of time to write at the moment, and it seems a bit of a chore to write, and it's been hard coming up with posts. Before I would have a bunch in mind and schedule them, but now I just sit and write when something comes to mind (if I have a free moment).

I wonder if my blog lacks focus because my life seems that way too? Right now, it almost seems like we're running in triage-mode, just doing what needs to be done at that moment and a) not having time for anything else, and b) not giving much thought to anything. Like we're moving minute to minute, task to task, and just treading water right now.

Hmm...this started as a post about the blog and turned into a "life" post. See? Writing thoughts down DOES help clarify things! I mean, nothing is more clear, but at least I know what's really in my thoughts, not just the blog.

I've been thinking about taking a month of from the blog (and all social media) just to give myself a break and spend that time in other ways I might like.

One other thing I know is that I need to update that header!!

3 comments:

  1. My attitude is that, unless you make a living off your blog, it can be whatever you want it to be and change with you. Post if you feel like it, take a hiatus if it feels right, write about anything that's on your mind. We perhaps start feeling obligated to our readership, and that's normal, but ultimately I feel it needs to be rewarding for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with GMP.. You should do what feels right to you since there are no blog police.

    When I used to blog about science I felt like I was 'betraying' my blog when I wrote about other stuff.. but then slowly, other stuff began taking over and it wasn't really a science blog at all. It was so nice to write about what I was thinking about at the time.. which happened to be kids, life, moving, crafts.. whatever. Eventually I totally quit blogging for a while, and it happened to correspond to the same time I left science. I just couldn't write about something that I didn't relate to. And it was hard to lose the 'niche' I had made for myself, but ultimately it was about what made me the most happy and what I *wanted* to write about.

    Eventually I came back as a completely non-science blogger and that is where I have remained. That was just how my life turned.. and it may not have been the right path for someone else but it was right for me.. It has been something like 3 years now and I've stuck with it.

    The irony is that now that I am trying to monetize my blog I run into the same problems.. the guilt when I go 'off brand' or write about things that don't fit my niche. But at the end of the day it is my blog and I can write about whatever I want! That is the beauty in 'self publishing!"

    There isn't a wrong answer.. and I like reading all your posts.. and your struggle to find a direction rings really true to me. You aren't the only one who has been there!

    Good luck with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GMP and Kim - you're both right! I just need to keep writing about what I feel like. Afterall, it's my blog :D

    ReplyDelete