HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Friday, February 7, 2014

Knitting As Therapy

A friend of mine posted this article on Facebook the other day about how knitting can act as great therapy on many levels. This rings so true to me.

I started knitting in the last year of my PhD when I was rather depressed. It gave me something to do with my time to keep my mind off how terrible I felt my life was at the time. It gave me purpose and made me feel accomplished (a stark contrast with beating my head against the wall on a daily basis with my research). I will always credit knitting with getting me through - and beyond - that last year!

Since then, it's been my go-to hobby. It keeps my hands busy, it works my brain,  it reduces my stress, and relaxes me. Finding new projects/patterns or learning new techniques excites me. I love the way I feel when I finish a project (even though it doesn't happen too often!).

It's been a large part of my stroke recovery too. It made me feel normal again, and made me realize I could do things I was able to do "before". It let me feel like I could accomplish something that others told me I might not be able to do (so, I was able to say "screw that!"). It was the first thing to came to my mind when people asked me what I loved to do or what I wanted to get back to doing.

I love it so much, I created a knitting support group for new mom that just started this week! I even applied for a small grant to keep the group going!

If you're looking for a new hobby that can reduce stress, that excites you, that taps into your creative side, and makes you feel accomplished, I totally and fully recommend knitting! Plus, knitters are some pretty awesome people too!