HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Job Paths

Sometimes --- well, a lot of the time --- I wish I had chosen a career that was more "known". Like engineer, interior designer, accountant, or dentist. Something, where you go to school, study for however long you need, then do that job, move up in the ranks, and just know what you'll be doing.

'Cause, to be honest, this whole "by the seat of my pants" thing that I'm finding myself on is kinda getting tired. I went into university wanting to get a Physics degree but having no idea what that meant or what I could do after. Then, each stage after that has just been a "we'll see how this goes" decision. I applied to graduate school in Astronomy, to an interior design program and to an international business program at the same time and told myself if I got into graduate school, I'd go. So, I did, and off I went. I moved half-way across the country with no idea what I was going to do. Then, after my MSc,  I did it again - well, I didn't know what else I could do besides do a PhD, so I applied to three programs, and got an offer from one, so I went there. Again, having no idea what I was doing or for what reason.

As long time readers of this blog know I then floundered around for years, just hating life as a graduate student. All I knew was that scientific research was not for me, and that took me years to figure out. Finally, by the end, I knew what I loved - education and outreach - and ended up getting a job doing that, without having to move, and getting a decent salary and everything. But, over time, I realized more and more that there was no stability there, and in the end, the job was cut due to lack of funding.

 I know what I love, but there's very little chance to get another (well-paying) job like that in this town. So, now what?

Now I find myself looking into those types of careers I mentioned at the beginning of this post. Maybe it's times to finally choose a career with a (relative) set path instead of feeling like I'm flopping around like a fish out of water.

And, as always, my mind drifts back to teacher's college - something I've been blathering on and on about for years now. I put in my application back in November and I'll find out if I got in on April 1st. If I don't get in, then I'll have to figure what other types of jobs I can start applying for (admin stuff at the university? not-for-profit sector? something completely different?). But, if I do get in, I'll have to decide whether to actually go. It would mean 8 months of school (because it's not like I've done enough of that?!), 8 months of no salary + tuition costs, Carter in daycare and Evan in kindergarten + before/after school care. It will be expensive for our family in more ways that one. But, then it's only 8 months - something we can surely handle for such a short period, and if I start working the next academic year, things will hopefully start going down a path I would actually like.

Well - I guess we'll see what happens ;)