HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Typing


One of the most challenging tasks for me right now is typing. I think it's because it involves fine motor skills on both side and verbal communication - combining both cognitive and physical abilities. It's frustrating that I can't do it nearly as fast as I once could  - those darn "o's" and "p's" are tough sometimes (that little pinky on the right side needs more practice) - but I  have already seen an improvement. Even a week ago, it was a lot harder for me to type. What's good (in my mind) is that it's the physical that needs to catch up to my mind - what I want to say is there in my brain already. I don't seem to have issue coming up with thoughts and the words to express those thoughts. I guess as a scientist, I tend to value my cognitive abilities more. So, if there's a mistake on my blog, just assume it's because I can't type well ;)

As with everything with my recovery, it's just one day at a time. Somethings have improved much faster than others. My general physical ability  recovered fairly quickly. Things that take concentration are a bit slower to come back (like typing and knitting). But, what's awesome is that I'm doing them anyway!

 I try to find things everyday to be thankful for, and to enjoy life as much as possible right now. This might not be my idea life right now, but it's my life now, and it is what it is. Luckily, I have lots to be thankful for to hep get me through my days and the frustrating times. 

PS: The reason I keep writing about this is so people get some sort of insight into what it's like to be recovering from a stroke, especially since it's so common (even though my particular experience is extremely rare)... and really just for my own records.