Monday, November 18, 2013

Road to Recovery

The bleed in my brain occurred on October 14th, just over one week since Carter was born. Surgery was performed on my brain to remove the bleed in order to reduce the pressure on my brain. They also removed about half my skull - taking off what's called the left bone flap. That will be replaced in another surgery in the next couple of months. I will also have another CT scan performed to check if the vessels in my brain are changing for the better (that will be on Dec. 16th).

I was discharged from the hospital and transferred to a stroke rehabilitation centre on October 29th. I did very well there - strengthening both my physical and cognitive abilities. Thankfully, much of those had been regaining since the surgery already, and I had a strong base to work with already. While there, I even managed to write and submit an application to teacher's college (which I've been hoping to do for years!).

Just over two weeks later, I was discharged from the rehab centre, and I came home on November 13th. The transition to being at home will take a lot of work and energy - especially figuring out how to care for two kids and myself, and do everything else we need to do to run a household! My in-laws are still here, which is helping a lot. I will also be getting some in-home therapists visit to assess how I'm doing.

One thing I've realized through all of this is I want to learn more and more about the causes and effects of stroke. I hope to become an advocate somehow for others who have suffered from a stroke - need to think on this more. If anyone has any recommendations on where I can learn more (I have started reading My Stroke of Insight that Cath recommended in the last post).

Though it sounds minor, the one thing that has bothered me the most is my ability to hear has decreased. The surgeons said it should have nothing to do with the surgery, and all the other doctors have basically ignored it and have said it'll just come back. It's annoying enough that I'm going to try and see an audiologist. Not being able to hear is a big problem, and is also very isolating. Hopefully I can get it fixed one way or another.

The next few weeks mean a lot of follow-up appointments with specialists who worked on my case, and getting assessed and re-assessed.  I hope to update more!