HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Saturday, June 22, 2013

What Not to Say

Here's a tip: don't ever comment on the size of a pregnant woman. 

Don't tell her you think she's too small or too large (why does no one ever comment that you're just the right size?). You're not an expert. Everyone carries differently. Everyone gains weight differently. Babies grow at different rates. 

Earlier this week, I had a woman tell me she thought I was really big. After telling her that's not really what pregnant women want to hear, she continued to make comments, counting how much time I have left until my due date (like I'm not aware of that), and ended by saying that maybe I'll be "lucky" and not gain much more weight for the rest of the pregnancy.

I was livid. I tried to make her shut-up, but she kept right on going. I wanted to punch her in the throat. 

A couple days later, I had a midwife appointment, and I was a bit worried about my size and weight gain. But, my measurements were pretty much dead on for what they "should" be at this point.

I'm not sure why people think the lives and bodies of pregnant women are open to public scrutiny and judgment. From comments about size and weight gain, to belly rubs, and rude/unsolicited advice about everything under the sun*, it's hard not to just put a big FU shield up for 9 months.