HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Yard Sale Tips

We're planning on having our first ever yard sale sometime this summer. We do sometimes sell things on Kijiji here and there, but we've amassed a pretty big pile of stuff we want to get rid of, so I thought trying to do it all at once might be a good idea.

The last time I was involved in a garage/yard sale was at my parents house years ago, so I'm sure things have changed since then. So, I need some tips from people who have done this recently!

1. Where is the best place to advertise? Do newspapers still have yard sale sections, or is online the way to go (or both)?

2. Is one weekend day good (if so, which is better?), or should we do both days?

3. I've heard "opening" earlier is better - what's a good time to open and close the sale?

4. Prices - always the fun part, I imagine. Do you price to sell (I'm leaning this way) or price to make money? 

5. Do you sell everything individually (and then maybe give deals if they're buying more than one), or put packages together (this would be for things like VHS/DVDs, clothes, photo frames, etc.)?

6. Any other great tips?

I'm kind of excited about this - I feel like it's a rite of passage or something.