HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Book Review: Dear Life

I've made my foray into the writing of Alice Munro, who is a famous Canadian writer known for her short stories. I've always had it in my mind to pick something up of hers, so when my mother-in-law gave me her most recent book, Dear Life, for Christmas, it went to the (relative) top of the pile.

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't a huge fan. There were a handful of stories in the book that I found interesting but, for the most part, the writing style just did not grab my attention. I felt like I was just dropped in to the middle of stories, and taken out before they finished.

This books was supposedly special because the last four stories were somewhat autobiographical. They were some of the more interesting stories in the book, but I found some of the narrative was really repetitive between the four stories.

Overall, though a few of the stories were really intriguing, I'm not convinced that I'll be reading another one of her books in the near future. I give this book a 2.5/5. 

I'm starting to realize that maybe I'm just more of a popular fiction type reader. And, since reading is supposed to be a hobby and not a job or chore, I might just have to embrace that fact and read more of the type of books I know I'll enjoy.