HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Limits

Warning: navel-gazing bitch-fest coming up.
 
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to be pregnant...but I'm not a happy pregnant lady. It's hard, people! The thing that gets me the most is the limits it puts on me.

I have to worry about eating certain things (no soft cheeses! careful with deli meats! I'm sure many others that I just ignore!), and there's the whole no alcohol thing. Not that I'm a huge drinker, but I like to relax with a glass of wine if I want, or have a beer on a warm summer day with a burger.

My cardio ability also goes to crap. This upsets me more this time because before I got pregnant, I was doing really well with working out. I had all sorts of goals in mind for this summer like running a 5K, or doing a long bike ride for charity. In the first trimester, I felt so horrible and tired that there was no way I was going to exercise. At this point, I get winded walking up a flight of stairs, so I'll need to start up again slowly. I am registered for a yoga class starting in a couple of weeks, so hopefully that, coupled with the warmer weather (so more walking/biking opportunities), will get things rolling.

The toughest part for me is the no Advil rule. Given that my shoulders/neck/back seem even worse when pregnant, means I'm dealing with fairly constant pain. Sure, it goes away for a couple hours here and there, or I might even have a full good day, but then it's back and Tylenol doesn't do crap. I'm doing a lot more stretching and I think I've killed my hot bean bag (I swear it's losing it's heat capacity -- is that possible?), but there's only so much that can do. 

Needless to say that I'm excited for the baby to be born...not only because it'll be amazing to have a new baby in my arms, but so I can start getting my body back again.