HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Book Reviews: Chic Lit Cleansers

My year in reading didn't start off well. I was disappointed with both Angela's Ashes and Cannery Row (you know these books didn't have a lasting impression on me when I had to look up what I actually read). To cleanse my reading pallet, I like to read 1-2 easy, light, and/or fun books.

This time, I went with Emily Giffin's Heart of the Matter. I have enjoyed her other books (Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and Baby Proof), so I figured this was a safe bet. Heart of the Matter is about infidelity, motherhood, and what some do to "fit in" (and how that might cause issues in other areas of life). It was told from two points of view: the wife and the other women, both of whom are mothers. I found it interesting that the cheating husband wasn't given a voice, so the reader has to draw their own conclusions about him by what the two women say. I won't give away the ending, but I still don't know if I'm happy with it - but I guess the fact that decisions are not black and white. I gave this book a 4/5.

I wanted to continue my streak of decent books, so I picked up Jennifer Wiener's Then Came You. Again, I had read several of her books, and enjoyed them, so I figured another safe bet. This story is about all the women involved in a surrogate pregnancy: the egg-donor, the surrogate, the mother-to-be, and the step-daughter of the mother-to-be (yeah, that last one threw me for a loop too). The problem I found with this book is it was told using too many characters, which sometimes got confusing and seemed to leave holes in the story. How all the loose ends were tidied up into a nice perfect package at the end didn't resonate with me either. So, though the book was a decent read, I gave it a 3/5.

Now I'm on to a book of short stories by Alice Munro (Dear Life). I've heard so many amazing things about this author, and my mother-in-law gave me this book for Christmas, so I thought I'd give it a try. So far, I've enjoyed about 75% of the stories.