HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Friday, March 8, 2013

Books that were meh

I haven't been doing well in terms of books this year. The first two I've read were Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt and Cannery Row by John Steinbeck.

I was really excited to read Angela's Ashes, since I had heard so many wonderful things about it and it has gotten rave reviews everywhere. I don't know if my expectations were too high, but in all honesty I found the book really boring and repetitive and the language was difficult to read. I was often so annoyed by the characters that I couldn't identify with them at any level. I tried to remind myself that this was a true story, so maybe I would have more sympathy, but it didn't work. Maybe I'm heartless, but I just didn't care. I gave this book a 2.5/5.

Cannery Row wasn't any better - though at least I could read it without feeling like I wanted to punch someone in the face. Again, I didn't feel anything for the characters and couldn't identify with them. For such a character-driven story, they were not developed really well, and so the story just fell flat for me. Or maybe I just didn't get it? I've been told John Steinbeck is a must-read author, but judging from this book I won't be going back to him for a while (if ever). I'm giving this book a 2.5/5 as well.

To cleanse my pallet, I'm starting Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin - hopefully she can renew my love of reading!