HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Difference

Since the beginning of the year, I've been working out rather consistently. Nothing huge - just 2-3 times a week, but I've definitely noticed a difference in my fitness level already, which is great! Looks like I'm not a non-responder, which I was a bit afraid of.

In the summer/fall, I found it was a lot easier to fit exercise into my day because it was warm and light enough in the mornings to go outside for a run or bike ride before I got ready for work, or I could ride my bike to work. But, once the winter darkness and cold crept in, I had to re-work my plan. I think I finally found a grove that works for me. It's a bit hectic - I have to wait until DH and Evan are out of the house in the morning - and gets me into work slightly later (10-15 minutes), but I think it's worth it.

I also have tried very hard to change my reasoning for introducing exercise into my life this time around. Instead of focusing on how my body changes (losing weight, losing inches, fitting into clothes, whatever), I'm focusing on how my strength and endurance are improving - that I'm doing something good for my health and well-being, not just for how I look. I find it's been much easier to motivate myself because fitness changes seem to occur more rapidly than physical changes. Plus, it's a nice change not having to focus on the way I look - something I've been growing tired of recently (not that I don't want to look good, but I want to be finally happy with what I have and who I am).

My hope is I can continue this simple plan until it starts to warm up and get lighter in the mornings so I can start running and biking again.