HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Back to Reading with Baby Proof

I've been in a reading rut lately. I just could not get in to our latest book club choice - Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler - even though it was my pick. I got to about page 30 before giving up completely. Granted, I wasn't the only one: only one of the girls read the whole thing, and we've decided to watch the movie at our next meeting instead (on the advice of the one girl who read the book and has seen the movie).

After easily reaching and surpassing my reading goal last year (10 books) I thought 20 would be a piece of cake this year. After all, I was still at home for the first half of last year with Evan - this year I would much more free time! But, either I wasn't as motivated to read, just didn't pick enough books that were that riveting, or didn't have as much free time as I thought, because I'm only at 13 books with a little over a month to go in 2012.

Anyway, to get my reading mojo back, I ordered Baby Proof by Emily Giffin for my Kindle. The easiest way to get back into something is to start nice, light, fun, and easy, right? I was right - I tore through the book in 3 days. 

Typical of Giffin books, it was a fun story with love angst, wrong decisions, misunderstandings, heart warming moments, and - of course - a perfect ending. It was exactly what I needed and I just might eat up another chic-lit book to keep things going. 

What are your fallback genres or books to get you reading again?