HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Maxidol Commercial

Last weekend, as I was enjoying an action flick on TV, I was bombarded every commercial break with the latest Maxidol commercial that made me more angry every time I watched it.

I've tried searching for it online, but have come up empty-handed so far.*  But, if you search for "maxidol time of the month commercial", you'll see I'm not the only one annoyed by it.

The commercial starts with a view of a woman's work desk, and the narrator saying something along the lines of Poor Susie - she's off work today because of cramping, bloating... --- you get the idea. As the list goes on, the commercial cuts to a scene of a woman shopping to her heart's content and leaving the store with both hands full of bags.

If you can't figure out why this ad pisses me off, here's a list of things it implies:
1. Women are unreliable when having their period
2. Even if women feel okay during their period, they'll use it as an excuse to get out of work
3. When women do skip out of work, it's to go shopping
4. Women love to shop, especially when having their period
5. Women can't stop themselves when shopping and always over-indulge

I don't know who's idea this commercial was, or who let it air, but join me in telling Maxidol (Bayer Canada is the parent company - email is contactbayer@bayer.com) that they should go to hell!** And, no, I'm not irritable because of PMS. I'm irritable because this sexist shit is apparently still acceptable.

*If anyone has a link, let me know.
**I sent them an email on Tuesday - will update if I hear anything back!