HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, June 21, 2012

I Am A ___ Meme

There has been a lot of talk recently about what kind of people make good role models.  Specifically, should female scientists be girlie or tomboyish?

Well, I'm here to say, who cares? Instead of trying to put people in preconceived stereotyped boxes, how about we show students and children the diversity of people interested in and doing science? How about you can be a scientist if you're girlie, a tomboy, geeky, sporty, or some combination of everything and anything in between?

So, here is my request to my readers and fellow bloggers: write a description of yourself both as a kid and now. What were you like as a kid? What kinds of things did you enjoy? What about now? Then, end it with "I am a ____" (where ____ is whatever you do - because this isn't an issue only in the sciences).

Bloggers: send me a link of your post so I can make a list available. 

Don't have a blog but want to contribute? Send your post to me and I'll host it on my blog.

Who's in?

Also, if you're interested in smashing the scientist stereotype, you can submit a photo to This is What a Scientist Looks Like.