HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Book Review: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

I finally got around to reading the last book in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series by Stieg Larsson.

First - I really wish I had read this book soon after I read the second, because I had a hard time remembering some of the details of the story and this one picked up right after the other.

Again (as with the second book), the Lisbeth Salander character was portrayed as a strong female who you would love to have your back in any kind of confrontation. This is vastly different than how she is portrayed in the first book (mostly like a victim with no heart). In this book, she is dependent on her friends to help her prove her innocence to the multitude of charges that are filed against her.

I had the same problems with this book as I did with the first of the series - the first 100 pages were very slow, and it actually didn't pick up to a good pace until the last 150 pages. Larsson just loves to include tiny little details that mean nothing but take up half a page, but it wasn't as bad in this book as it was in the other two. There were also a lot of similar sounding names that were tough to keep track of.

That being said, I thought the story unfolded as a very exciting mystery. Much of the plot included the secret police of Sweden, and how a certain top-secret section of it was all wrapped up in Lisbeth's case. I also quite enjoyed the court-room scene, where Lisbeth's lawyer made fools of many of the people who had made Lisbeth's life a living hell.

This book was not as good as the second, so I'll give it the same rating as I gave the first: 3.5 out of 5. I'd like to see the whole series of movies now!