HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Safe (For Now)

A few weeks back, I wrote about how my job may be in jeopardy because of federal budget cuts in Canada. A couple days after that, we heard through the grapevine that our grant was not going to be paid out for its final year (we still haven't received an official letter, to which they are contractually obligated to provide - but that whole side of things will be the subject of a future post).

My bosses assured me that they would do all they could to keep me on board and, in the meantime, they would be able to guarantee me a job until the end of the summer in some capacity. They lobbied various uppers at the university for weeks, but I also began to look at job postings and put together a couple applications for teaching positions. 

Finally, after weeks of living in the unknown, we got word from the Faculty of Science that they are willing to pay my salary through the end of the contract we had with the CSA (March 31, 2013). My role may change slightly, and it still leaves us with the problem of finding funding for after that date, but I'm happy to still have the job I love and it gives us time to seek out other funding options.