HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I know it's a phase...

...but I'm hoping this one ends soon.

Evan is definitely a toddler - with his manic-depressive states (laughing his head off one minute and then screaming the next), toddler fits (where he lies down on the floor face first), and lots and lots of "no's" and head shaking. 

He's also asserting his independence, which would be great if it wasn't so scary. Most toddlers will run off, yes, but will look back at their parents to make sure they're there. With Evan, not so much. And he always wants to be where he shouldn't - like on the road, on the soccer field during DH's games, or invading people's personal space. 

I know it's important for him to go through this, and that it's good for his development, and blah, blah, blah....but holy crap, this parenting thing is hard!

I long for the days when he was 4 months old and crying his head off. I knew if I walked with him long enough at a certain pace and singing a certain song he would eventually stop and fall asleep. Now, I feel like I have no idea why he's upset most of the time (I don't think he does either), and have no idea how to fix it.

Thankfully, he has good days every so often that remind me what it's like to have a happy Evan around.