HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Monday, May 21, 2012

Enough is Enough

Throughout my life I have been a moderately active person. I never ran marathons or anything, but I played intramural sports, went to the gym on a regular basis, played golf, rode my bike here and there - that kind of thing. 

That is, until I got pregnant with Evan. Since then I have been less-than-active. I've noticed recently that the lack of exercise - coupled with getting older and adding higher stress recently (due to my unknown job situation, which is still up in the air) - is really starting to catch up with me. I have had neck and shoulder problems for years, but it has become much worse in recent months. I've also put on a few pounds in the same time period.

This past weekend I have decided enough is enough. I just can't go on like this. I'm only 33, but I feel much older lately. I want to have a healthy lifestyle, so I'm not in pain, or out of breath, every time I try to do something. I also want my clothes to fit better again (especially after dropping quite a bit of cash on a whole new wardrobe last year and 10 pounds ago).

So, I've made a plan, and I fully intend to stick with it because I'm at that breaking point where things just need to change. This is one reason why I'm writing about it here - so other people know about it and I feel more accountable. Here is what I plan to do:

1. I will get my bike serviced this week to make sure it's safe (it hasn't been used in a few years, and there's something funky with the back wheel). I'll then bike to work at least once per week.

2. I bought a small pair of hand weights so I can do shoulder/back/chest strengthening exercises. I can even do this in front of the TV if I want!

3. I will watch my food intake by using an iPhone app called "Lose It" (I can also input my exercise, so I know my net calorie intake each day).

4. I have signed up for kayaking lessons for June, which includes a membership to the local paddling club. After my lessons are complete, I will have free access to the equipment, so plan on going out kayaking every-so-often.

I know this doesn't sound like much, but my hope is that if I can start out slowly and get all these things going on a regular basis that I can add on as I start feeling stronger and more fit.

Any tips from people who have moved from couch-potato to being more active? What worked for you? What didn't?