HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Helping

Lately (and by that, I mean the last few months), Evan has been wanting to help us around the house. He enjoys unloading the dishwasher, unpacking the groceries, and sorting the laundry. It's a great way to get things done without having to deal with a meltdown at the same time.

One area in which I'm having a tough time getting him to help is in the kitchen. He has always loved to watch me cook, and now he wants to help, but there are only a limited number of things he can do. Some things I make up ("Evan, can you take the pierogies out of the bag and put them in this bowl?") but it keeps him busy and happy (i.e., he's not crying and pulling on my pants).

Any tips for how to include him in more of the cooking without putting him near knives or the stove top? He's too short to reach the counter, but he's not stable enough to stand on a stool or anything yet.