HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Book Review: Keeping Faith

My second book of the year was Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult. This book is one of Picoult's earlier works, and I'll completely admit that the subject matter didn't really grab me (which is why I've read many other of her books before this one).

The basic story is this: in the midst of a marriage falling apart, the daughter in the story (Faith) starts talking to God, develops stigmata, and performs miraculous healings. In true Picoult fashion the story winds up in a dramatic court-room scene, where the parents battle for the custody of their child.

Even though the subject matter was unfamiliar and uncomfortable for me, the story wound around it was fast-paced and riveting. I felt very sympathetic toward the mother in the story (Mariah), and could feel her pain and frustration throughout the story.

The love story between Mariah and Ian (a host of an antirevival TV show) was a bit far fetched and unbelievable, and really unnecessary to the story. The beginning of the book also dragged a bit, and it took me a while to get into it. But, once I got about half-way through, I was invested in the characters and the story, and I found it difficult to put down.

I give this book a 4/5.