HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Book Review: Secret Daughter

My first book of 2012, and also a book club pick, was Secret Daughter by Shipli Somaya Gowda. A woman in India gives birth to a daughter, and is forced to give her up for adoption. A couple from the United States (husband is from India, wife is an American) adopts the little girl. The book intertwines the story of the birth parents, the adoptive parents, and the daughter.

This story goes from heartbreaking, to moving, to frustrating, to heart-warming. There seems to be a "coming of age" theme to it, even though the characters have a wide age range. The importance of family is definitely central to the story, as are love and hope.

I really enjoyed this book as I was reading it, but for some reason I didn't have a problem putting it down for long stretches. Has anyone else read this book and felt the same way? I can't put my finger on it.

For that reason, I'm giving the book a 3.5/5.