HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Friday, November 25, 2011

Room: A Book Review

Room by Emma Donoghue was our most recent book club choice. This is a story told from the perspective of a five-year-old boy, Jack, who only knows an 11x11-foot room. It's his entire world. That is, until his Mom tells him the truth about the "Outside".

**Spoiler alert**

About a quarter of the way through, I was starting to get a bit tired of things. There isn't a lot to do in such a small space, and it was getting annoyingly repetitive. But, then the pace of the book changed quite rapidly when the mom started talking about trying to escape. At that point, I figured the rest of the book would be about that. So, imagine my surprise when they escaped about half-way through the book!

The second half was all about how they dealt with being in the real world - from the mother's depression and fears, to Jack missing things about Room (after all, it was all he ever knew). One of the most frustrating scenes in the book was when Jack went to the mall with his uncle, aunt, and cousin. It really put it into perspective what kinds of things Jack would just not understand, such as paying for things.

Even though I thought the middle of the book should have really been the end, it was kind of like finding out what happened AFTER. I can't count the number of times I've read a book and wished I could find out what happened. This was a fun treat to actually find out!

I give this book a 4/5.