HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Friday, October 28, 2011

Isaac's a Boob

I got my cat, Isaac, when I moved to Winnipeg for my masters at the very end of 2002.

Fig. 1: Isaac.

We have been through a lot together: moving five times (once to another city), driving half-way across the country, two cats (a male cat, Claude, who died a few years ago, and now a female cat, Isabella), and of course the addition of a husband and baby. I love him. He's my cuddle buddy, and he still sleeps with me every night. I've often told DH that if I had to choose between him and Isaac, Isaac would win because we've been together longer (DH does not find this particularly funny, but I think I'm being cute).

But, recently I sometimes want to drop-kick the damn cat across the room.

He has this incredibly annoying habit of doing this howling/meowing thing just as Evan is nodding off for the night at about 7pm. Then, he does the same damn thing when DH and I go to bed a few hours later and are just starting to fall asleep.

I don't know why he does it, but I do know how to shut him up: I have to practically mail him a written invitation to get into bed with us. I can't just call him once. Nope. I have to call him 3-4 times before he comes upstairs. Then, once he's in the vicinity of our bedroom, I have to tap the bed. He'll come closer, but will sit beside the bed, waiting for me to make room beside me and tap the bed while saying "come on, Isaac". Finally, after this 5-minute dance, he'll come on to the bed and lie down.

Sometimes that's it for the night. Sometimes it's not --- he'll jump down five minutes later to go check something out and then the whole process starts again.

Isaac, I love you buddy, but SHUT THE HELL UP, ALREADY!