HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Trimming the Fat

I spend way too much time on the internet.

I check Facebook numerous times per day.

I am a member of two online message boards (one with 3 close friends, and another larger group).

I follow 60 blogs (and read them all, and comment on a good portion).

I write about 3 posts a week for my blog.

I have a few news sites I check daily.

I now have a Google+ account (luckily I'm only following about 20 people, so I only check it once a day).

I do internet searches for work and personal purposes often.

I'm practically attached at the hip to my multiple emails.

I have to update a portion of a website for work.

It's getting to the point where I'm doing all this stuff more out of obligation than enjoyment. I get overwhelmed when I don't check FB or my Google Reader a few times a day, because otherwise it's hard to keep up with. Of course, now that I'm working, it's tough to do it during the day so everything piles up. This is also the reason why I don't want to branch out into new things, like Twitter or podcasts, because I feel like I already spend so much time on the internet that I don't want to add to it.

One of my 2011 resolutions was to cut back on my internet use, but obviously I haven't done a great job of it. How do you keep your internet use in check? Any tips on how to trim back without feeling like I'm missing something?