HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lowest Energy State

I seem to fall into these ruts where I live my life in the lowest energy state. On weekdays, I go to work, I come home and force myself to make an uninspired dinner, we put Evan to bed, I watch TV and surf around on the internet, and then I go to bed. Honestly, weekends aren't that much better unless, though we do make more of an effort for Evan's sake.

There are lots of other things I'd like to be doing - knitting, reading, biking, swimming, hiking, baking, trying new recipes, etc. - but because these take a bit more energy, I tend to put them off because I "need to relax" or "I'm too tired". So I watch TV or spend time online. But then I find myself wishing I had spent my time more wisely, then I tend to fall into a slightly depressive state, causing me to want to do even less, and around it goes.

In the comments of my last post, Cloud noted that "...your online time is only a problem if it is getting in the way of something you'd rather be doing, or impacting your productivity at work." My productivity at work has not been impacted, but I definitely feel like my online time (and being in the lowest energy state in general) has been getting in the way of things I'd much rather be doing.

So, to combat this, I have come up with some ideas on how to get out of these types of ruts:

1. Reduce the number of blogs I follow. This makes me feel a bit sick thinking about it, because all the blogs I follow are written by good, nice people. It's not like they're writing about stuff that makes me angry or upset. But, following 60+ blogs is hard work and something has to give! Any tips?

2. Knit if I'm watching TV. I figure I'm going to watch TV in the evenings, given SYTYCD and Master Chef are on 3-4 nights out of the week. It's not like I'm going to give that up (let's not get crazy here). So, to make that time somewhat productive, I'm going to knit while I watch.

3. Sign up for a class/sport. I need something to get me out of the house and doing something on my own, if only for an hour a week. I'm thinking something like tennis or cooking lessons (I had signed up for kayaking lessons, but it got canceled).

4. Bike rides. I'm going to start riding my bike, beginning with just one day a week. Saturday mornings will be perfect because DH can stay home and take care of Evan (and he has soccer on Sunday mornings, so it's kind of fair).

5. Limit computer use. I'm not going to use my computer from when I get home until after Evan is asleep. Then, I will give myself time to catch up on blogs, write posts for my blog, and check specific sites. After I'm done, I will turn my computer off, and not just putter around.

I think that's a good start. Hopefully they will help!