HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Monday, August 29, 2011

Crappy Books

I generally try to stick to a rule of finishing a book once I have started it. There have only been a couple books that I just could not force myself to continue (Little Women - I know, it's "the best book ever", so shoot me - and Alias Grace). If I find a book boring or tedious, I'll usually plod through it, hoping it will get better or that my next pick will make up for it.

I'm starting to question this rule.

The older I get, the more I understand the importance of doing things you love to do, but not forcing yourself to continue with things that become annoying, frustrating, or just plain boring. Life is too short, and, like most people, I don't have a lot of extra time on my hands these days.

Reading is supposed to be enjoyable. So, why should I force myself to finish a book I am not enjoying? The problem is we were all taught to "finish what you started". What total BS that is, am I right?

So, I'm thinking of instilling a new rule. Maybe something like, if I'm not into a book within 100 pages, I'll stop.

What do you do when you find yourself reading a crappy book?