HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Memory Keeper's Daughter: A Book Review

My ninth book of the year was The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. The story begins with a mother giving birth to twins, one of which had Downs Syndrome. The father decides to give the baby away, and the rest of the story is about how that secret influences many lives.

This was a beautifully written book. The narratives transport you to another place, and I was captivated many times by the use of her words.

But, honestly, the book just did not hold my attention. Evidence: it took me almost two months to read it. I felt the story basically went nowhere, and was incredibly predictable. Being a mother, I usually feel strong emotions when I read books about children and parenthood, but I did not connect with the characters at all. I don't know what it was - perhaps Edwards was so focused on the narrative that the characters were lost.

I give this book a 2.5/5, because it was beautifully written, but the character development and storyline severely lacked.