HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Grandma M

My paternal grandmother passed away earlier this week. She was a month away from being 95, and had been in a home for a while, so it wasn't unexpected; however, it's sad nonetheless.

I haven't seen much of her in my adult years, but I have lots of fond memories of her from my childhood. My parents would send my brother and I to visit her for a week or two during the summer. She always had wonderful goodies in the fridge and freezer, gorgeous flowers growing outside that she let me pick, and a giant yard where we would play endlessly. She was so caring and loving, especially when I was home sick. She was constantly smiling and laughing.

For some reason, one of my clearest memories of her was during a drive between Alberta and Saskatchewan. Every time we passed horses, she would say "Look! Cows!!" and I would giggle and say "No, Grandma! Those are horses!!". I don't know why that stuck with me, but it always makes me smile.

Back in May, Evan and I made a visit to Saskatchewan, seeing both my grandmothers. I am so glad he was able to meet her before she passed, and it was wonderful the way he made her smile.

Grandma, I hope you know you are deeply loved and that you're now with all your family and friends who passed before you. See you on the other side.