HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Friday, May 27, 2011

I wish...

...I had a mentor.

Now that I'll be starting my first real job, I wish I had someone who could help me navigate these uncharted waters.

What would I look for in a mentor?

A woman who holds a similar position to mine - someone who interacts with faculty at the university, but also people off campus. Someone who is confident, approachable, and trustworthy, but who stands up for herself and does not shy away from confrontations. Someone who loves their job, but has a home life too and keeps the latter a priority. Someone I could feel comfortable enough to be open and honest about my experiences, and who would do the same with me.

Do you have a mentor? How did you find them and how have they helped you?

If you don't have a mentor, do you feel like you're missing out? What would you look for in a mentor?