HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Six Months of the Horns

Evan is six-months old on Tuesday. That means I've been pumping for just about six months. I never, ever, EVER thought I would make it this far. After the terrible experience with trying to breastfeed and failing miserably, I resigned myself to pumping seemingly all day long so Evan could get the benefits of breast milk.

The early weeks were brutal. I was pumping 7-8 times a day. I remember feeling like I was constantly on the pump. It was hard when the in-laws visited, as I had to shut myself in the bedroom while I pumped.

As I dropped pumps, things got a bit easier. By the time DH went back to work I was down to 4-5 pumps a day and was still able to keep up with Evan's demands. But, then all of a sudden I had some problems that caused me pain, I had to deal with a couple very painful clogs, and pumping during the day when I was alone with Evan was getting harder and harder because he was awake more and wanting my attention.

At about 4.5 months, after dropping to 3 pumps a day, my supply was not able to keep up with Evan's demand. So, we had to start supplementing with formula.

Now, I am pumping twice a day and he gets 50/50 milk and formula. Sure, it's not ideal, and I did not reach my goal of exclusively pumping for six months. But, it's what works for us. I'm not sure how long I will keep it up, but I am proud for what I've been able to do for my son so far!