HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ladies - Get Fitted!!

I was unsure whether to post about this. But, it was such a life-altering, epiphany-inducing experience, that I just have to share it. Pictures and all.

We've all heard the stats on Oprah, in women's magazines, or from our friends: Over 70% of women are not wearing the right bra (www.thebreastsite.com). And we've all sat there smugly thinking, "How can so many women not know their bra size?!".

Well, take a look in the mirror, sweetheart - because, unless you've been professionally fitted in the last 12 months, I can pretty much guarantee you're part of that statistic.

I had my first appointment with the wardrobe consultant this past week*, and she said she would not go clothes shopping with me until I've had a proper bra fitting. She gave me the name of her favorite lingerie store in town (Linea Intima), and told me to get it done ASAP.

I had a feeling I wasn't wearing the right bra, as my ladies have gone through a tremendous transformation over the past year due to pregnancy and pumping. So, I called and made an appointment. It took about two minutes for the woman to measure me, but I was right. Instead of the 36/38 C/D bras I was wearing, it turns out I'm a 34E. For those of you who know bra sizing, that is quite the difference.

I tried on the first bra and I was absolutely astounded at how different I looked. Now, I know some of you are sitting there thinking "Really? I mean, yeah, you might feel better with better support, but did it actually look any different?".

Yes. And here's the proof (yes, I'm actually posting pictures on the internet for the purpose to have people look at the ladies. Crazy? Maybe. But it just shows you how important I think this is!):





If you can't see the difference, I'll eat my hat.

It look a zillion times better: the ladies are lifted to the proper height (they should sit about half way between your shoulder and elbow), and my waist looks more defined and smaller because you can see the top of my ribcage. It also feels a zillion times better. I am constantly getting headaches and have problems with my neck and shoulders, and I know those issues get better when I'm wearing a properly fitted bra.

So, ladies, I beg of you, if there is one thing you indulge in over the next month or two, it's a really great, properly fitted bra! I don't care if you're young or old, big or small. DO it! And don't go to a chain store at the mall. Go to a higher-end lingerie store with people that know what they're doing. Yes, you'll pay a lot more for a good bra (the one I bought was about $150 after taxes), but it will so be worth it. Trust me.

*I have three more appointments with my wardrobe consultant. I intend to do a week-long exposé on my experience in early May, so stay tuned!