HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Knitting Update

One of my goals for 2011 was to knit an afghan.

It's not going so well.

Back in January, I picked the Penrose pattern because it's beautiful and mathematical. It's supposed to be easy to knit up because it's all in garter stitch. It's true. The pieces are easy to knit up.

The afghan is split into 8 sections, and each section consists of 8 squares and 12 parallelograms. The squares are knit first, then the parallelograms are knit by picking up stitches off the squares. The large sections are then made up by stitching all those pieces together. The pieces are small enough and done in such a way that the knitting is fun and easy.

Here's the problem. I hate weaving in ends. HATE it. And with 20 frickin' pieces (yes, DH, that's a quarter for the swear jar), that's a lot of frickin' (another quarter) ends. My first full section has been stitched together for weeks and I just can't bring myself to finish it.

Fig. 1: Damn (another quarter) ends.