HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter: Book Review

This book was written by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the author of the Yarn Harlot blog. I find her blog to be very charming and funny, with gorgeous photos of wonderful knitting along the way, so I thought I'd try out one of her books.

It was great! Each chapter is a self-inclusive story, which makes this book easy and fun to read. She doesn't write too specifically about her knitting, but stories that revolve around her knitting: where she learned her craft, how crazy her yarn stash is (she uses her piano and a chest freezer as storage for some), the love-hate relationship knitters have with their projects, and what the difference is between a knitter and a Knitter (I am, most definitely, a member of the former category).

Her love of knitting really shines through in each and every chapter, even when she struggles with it, and I found it motivating to get back to my own knitting. I have now completed 8 squares of the Penrose afghan - only 56 squares and 96 parallelograms to go! Oh, and the stitching together too.

I give this book a 4 out of 5, reasons being some of the chapters refer to specific patterns and it would be great to see photos, and the book is too short! I recommend this book to any knitter (and especially Knitter)!