HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Monday, January 17, 2011

Trials

There are a few things going on with this whole parenting thing recently that are causing me a bit of frustration. Hence my post a couple days ago about not loving everything about it. Here are the issues:

Pumping
There are benefits to pumping that suit us: he gets the awesomeness of breast milk but we know how much he's getting, DH (or someone else) can feed him, and I produce more than he eats so I can build up a supply in the freezer. However, it is a time suck. Basically I'm spending 2 hours a day doing it. So, this weekend I decided to drop from five pumps a day to four, and my plan is to be done with pumping by the time Evan is six months (or earlier if it gets way too annoying). This might mean my supply doesn't meet his demand and that I will have to supplement with formula --- and I've decided at this point saving my sanity is worth it.

Daytime Naps
Evan's napping "schedule" is completely unpredictable. Sometimes he takes a bunch of short naps (20-30 minutes) throughout the day. Other times he has a couple long naps, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I much prefer the latter, as it gives me more of a break. Plus, he seems to be more cranky when he has shorter naps. He pretty much has to fall asleep in my arms during the day. So, once he falls asleep, I try to put him down. On bad days he wakes up and fusses every time, on good days he'll stay asleep. I really would like to get him napping in his crib, but because of his erratic napping and waking up and fussing when I put him down, I haven't tried this yet since I'd have to walk upstairs. Thankfully he's a champion sleeper at night. Usually he goes to bed at about 9:30-10pm, falls asleep all on his own, wakes up at 4pm for a feed, goes back to sleep on his own easily, then up at about 8am for the day.

Transition from Bassinet
The last issue, which isn't really an issue yet but is on my mind, is how and when we're going to transition him from sleeping in a bassinet in our room to the crib in his room. We're both fine with having him in our room, but he might outgrow his bassinet soon. So, that might force us to put him in his crib soon or buy something else to go in our room. I'm not sure if I'm ready to move him into his room yet, especially since he has never slept in his crib (another reason why I'd like to get him to nap there during the day).

I have a plan for the first issue, but not really for the other two. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!