HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Still Alice: Book Review

My first book of 2011 was Still Alice by Lisa Genova. It is about a 50-year-old female academic (Alice) who gets diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's.

In a nutshell: It was really, really sad, but really, really beautiful.

It was difficult to read because it is narrated by Alice. So, as the book progresses, you really experience her declining mental capacity full force. Some scenes were very hard to get through because of her embarrassment - or worse - how unaware she was in certain situations. I think it hit close to home for me because she is an academic who is married to another academic. She values her brain and knowledge above anything else, so to lose that is extremely heartbreaking.

I know it was good because I keep thinking about it days after finishing, and in fact wish it was longer so I could still be reading it! Although an agonizing read, I absolutely loved it and recommend it to anyone. So, I'm going to give it a 5 out of 5! Hopefully this is the start of a whole year of great books!