HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Friday, January 21, 2011

Hunger Games: Book Review

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins takes place sometime in the future in Panem, a nation located in what used to be North America. The Capitol keeps the surrounding 12 Districts in line by holding an annual Hunger Games, in which two teenagers from each district get pitted against each other in a fight to the death. The story is told by the main character, 16-year-old Katniss, who volunteers to take the place of her 12-year-old sister in the games.

It is gruesome and violent, but incredibly intriguing. The book starts out a bit slow, but once the games begin it picks up the pace and it was difficult to put down. It reminded me of Ender's Game, which I read last year. However, I found the characters in The Hunger Games to be more interesting, and the story was more fluid.

I believe this book is written for a teenage audience, but it was still interesting enough for a more mature reader. I give The Hunger Games 3.5/5, mostly because of the slow start. However, I am intrigued by the story enough to want to read the other two books in the series.