HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Daycare Conundrum

Things are rolling along for a job for me and I will be starting June 1st (more on this soon, I promise!). The person I will be working for is incredibly flexible, and is okay with me working completely from home the first couple of months. However, since things will become very busy come the start of the new school year in September, I will need to be at the office more days than not.

So, we have started to look into daycare options. We are on the wait-list for two, and we've had a tour of one of them (we hope to get a tour of the other soon). They both seem really great, so no issues there.

The conundrum we're having is whether to enroll Evan part-time or full-time. There are cons to both:

Part-time
- It is more difficult to get into a daycare on a part-time basis (they give preference to full-time children)
- I'll have to choose the days Evan would attend ahead of time. So, if for some reason I need to be at the office on a day he's not in daycare, we would have to scramble around to figure something out.
- Evan would not get the continuity of care that the full-time children get.

Full-time
- We likely wouldn't need full-time care for the most part. My plan right now is to work 3 days a week at the office, and 2 days at home.
- This would be more expensive, of course.
- Both of us would be away from Evan longer.

Right now, I just feel so guilty about sending him to daycare in general! So, thinking of sending him full-time, when he might not need it, is making me feel even worse.