HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Another Update

Well, nothing has been found with Evan so far. He had tests done on his blood, urine, and spinal fluid to check for infections, and those all came back negative. His jaundice levels are still elevated for what they should be, so they are keeping an eye on it to make sure it keeps going down. They will also do an ultrasound of his liver and spleen today to make sure those aren't a factor. Elevated jaundice levels are quite common in premature, breast-fed babies, so we're not particularly worried about it, and the doctors don't think it had anything to do with the seizure-like activity we saw.

To determine whether the episode was a seizure, he had a short (25 minutes) and long (48 hours) EEG done. The short one came back normal and we are waiting for the results on the long test. He is scheduled to have an MRI done tonight to look for any developmental issues.

So, we're basically waiting for results right now (like always, it seems). If those tests (EEG, MRI, ultrasound and blood tests) come back normal - and we should find out tomorrow - then the episode will be attributed to him breathing in fluid after spitting up and we'll most likely be discharged. Fingers crossed this is the case and we can go home soon.