I first considered it about half-way through my PhD when I just wanted to give up. But, my (stupid?) pride got in the way of that. I just had to finish what I started.
In my last year of my PhD (2008) I didn't apply for the 2009 start date because I was sure DH and I would be moving out of the city.
In 2009, I decided not to apply for the 2010 start date because I was sure we'd either have a baby by then, or at least I'd be pregnant and wouldn't be able to finish out the year (which is true).
So, here I am again. Should I or shouldn't I apply for the 2011 start date? I keep going back and forth on this, but I really need to make the decision soon so I can put together the application before December 1st if I decide to apply.
- First and foremost, I would love to teach science! It's been a passion of mine for many years now, so to be able to officially teach would be wonderful.
- As of right now, I have no job to go back to after Baby G arrives.
- My (paid) maternity leave would last until next November, meaning I'll at least be bringing in some sort of income for the first couple of months of classes.
- The program is only eight months long, so it is not a huge time commitment
- Finances: yes, my maternity leave would last until November, but what happens after that? With our expenses right now we would just get by on DH's salary alone, but if I went back to school we'd also have to pay for tuition (ugh!) and daycare for Baby G.
- Because of the above, I would probably have to find a part-time job (perhaps tutoring?) in order to supplement our income. That would mean I would be in school full-time, then have to work as well. That's a big time commitment, especially with a little one.
- There is no guarantee I would get a job after I finished the program. It seems to be a struggle to even get on the supply (substitute) teacher list, let alone getting a permanent position.
- There is a very good chance that there will be an outreach job at the university for me in the spring/summer. Even though it's not teaching in an official manner, it would be education related.