HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Monday, September 27, 2010

Alyssa 2.0?

I'll admit that I haven't been keeping up with technology so much in the past couple of years. Yes, I have a blog, a Facebook account, and check my email every 13.26 seconds. But, I've never used Twitter, I've never downloaded a Podcast, and I keep track of the blogs I read by clicking on them over on the right hand side as opposed to subscribing to them through some sort of reader.

Just this past week though, something has come along and has made me think about expanding my technology repertoire again: Netflix.

For those of you who don't know what Netflix is, first let me ask...

have you been living under a rock??

Erm...cough...cough...anyway....

One of my online friends (see? I'm not that behind the times) who lives in the US has been raving about Netflix forever. But, it hasn't been available in Canada until just last week. I signed up pretty much immediately and watched my first program (interestingly enough, about how technology has affected our society) within 5 minutes.

It was eye opening. To be able to sit on my couch, choose a TV program that I would never have access to given our lowly basic cable package and watch it without much effort and very little cost was amazing. There really are great things about technology!

On the same day, I posed a request to my Facebook friends. I have become bored with the music I listen to and wanted some recommendations. Well, Cath suggested that I download some Podcasts - something I've never done! So, now I have a 2-hour program sitting in iTunes that I can listen to at my leisure.

Also, because I live almost across the country from my parents, we are starting to replace phone calls with video chats over iChat. As great as this is now, it will be even more fantastic once Baby G arrives. He'll be able to meet his grandparents from 3000 km away!

I'm also considering a Kindle, though I'm not entirely convinced I would enjoy that more than the real experience of a book. Does anyone have one, or some other reader? How do you like it?

Now I'm wondering what other wonderful technology is out there that I should try out. Any suggestions?