HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Friday, July 23, 2010

Blog Identity

Today I took people pleasing to a whole new level.

I actually wrote a long post basically apologizing to my readers for the topics I've been writing about lately. I wanted to apologize to the science readers for not posting about science-y stuff, and I wanted to apologize to the TTC/pregnant/family readers for not being consistent with the topics I write about. That I feel torn between the two communities, and thus feel like I'm losing my blog identity.

Hello, Alyssa!!! It's YOUR blog! You can write about whatever the heck you want to write about!!

Admittedly, this blog is in transition. I rarely blog about science-y stuff anymore because I'm leaving academia and don't have much to say about the subject. Many of my posts recently have been centered on the house and Baby G. But, since those are basically the focus of my life right now, and this blog is really about my life, why do I feel like I need to apologize for that?

I guess it's because I feel guilty.

I feel guilty because, when I started blogging, I became part of the science blogging community. I received tons of support from graduate students, post-docs, and professors that were going (or went) through the same things. I feel as though I'm letting down my science-based readership when I write about such things as home ownership and motherhood.

Also, since I'm a super organizer/planner, it kind of bothers me having my blog seemingly all over the place. It would be nice to have a theme or direction.

In any case, I honestly don't know where this blog will end up right now. I know that Baby G will be the subject of many upcoming posts as we anticipate his arrival. After that? Who knows? Whatever happens though, I hope you will continue to read about my journey - wherever that may take me!