HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Social Awkwardness?

I attended my first pre-natal aquafit class recently. I thought it would be a great way to get some (much needed) exercise and to meet other mothers-to-be. I was right. The class is 1.5 hours, and the first 30 minutes is dedicated to pregnancy-related discussions. At my first class, we went around the room and said how we were feeling about the birth/labor process (second time moms were asked to tell the group about techniques they used to get through it the last time around). After the discussion, we all headed down to the pool for an hour. It is a very relaxed atmosphere where everyone chats while following the instructor.

Now, the problem may have arisen because I was joining the class half-way through (all the other ladies had taken 3 classes together already) - but I felt like a total dork! I couldn't get up the nerve to talk to anyone, and I felt very awkward at the beginning of class when we were waiting for it to start and everyone was talking amongst themselves. I truly felt like the shy geek in the corner!

Thankfully, in the pool, one of the other ladies struck up a conversation with me and we chatted during the workout. I found it easy to talk with her, but she had to initiate.

Well....when the heck did this happen? I always thought of myself as an outgoing, easy-to-talk-to person. I'm not sure when it changed, but sometime over the last few years my socializing skills have gone down hill. I think I'll blame it on being in an extremely anti-social environment over the last five years, for being around physicists longer than that, and for not having many friendships outside the realm of academia.

I really hope these classes help me get these skills back! I don't want to be the shy woman in the corner who never speaks to anyone. That's not who I am!