HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Friday, May 28, 2010

Conference #1

It's the last day of the CASCA conference I posted about last time, and I'm more than ready to go home. Yes, it was nice to see some good friends, but this conference (as with others in the past) has just reinforced that I do not want to continue along the academic path in astronomy (or at all).

I sit in the sessions and am bored out of my mind. I don't find any research interesting. At. All. I also don't feel like I fit in with these people. They love what they do (which is great!) and want to talk about it all the time. I just have no interest in it, and I almost feel bad being here because of that.

I did enjoy the education session - or at least the part I was able to attend, as I had to leave half way through to give my science talk in a parallel session. I received some great feedback and suggestions for the outreach project (and a nasty-ish email that basically said I shouldn't bother - yet another reason why I hate academia, Thanks for your support!).

In addition, I found out during my education talk that the physics/astronomy department won an award for outreach this year. Funny enough, no one told me about it - so when someone asked me about it during the question period, I stood there looking like an idiot. Thanks guys!

Sigh. I'm grumpy.